Attention of all Importers/Exporters, Custom Brokers and other stakeholders is invited to CBIC Instruction No 12/2021-Customs dated 25.05.2021 on the above subject. Reference is further invited to Press Release dated 15th May, 2021 vide Release ID: 1718815 by Ministry of Commerce and Industry on the above-mentioned subject.
2. In view of the COVID pandemic, vide said Press Release, it is stated that, by way of an exemption, PESO (Petroleum and Explosive Safety Organization) shall not carry out physical inspection of global manufacturers production facilities before grant of required approval for import of cylinders and pressure vessels for storage and transportation of medical oxygen. Now, PESO shall grant such approvals online without any delay on submission of manufacturers particulars; ISO certificate of manufacturer; List of Cylinders their specifications, drawings & batch number; Hydro test certificate and Third-Party inspection Certificate. Every foreign manufacturer/importer who wants to import oxygen cylinders is required to apply for import permission through PESO online system.
3. In this regard, DPIIT has further clarified as follows:
A. In case the importer has applied through online application to PESO and the decision is pending in PESO, the exemption allows them to bring oxygen cylinders on urgency for COVID relief activities in India.
B. In case the importer has not applied through online application to PESO, the exemption allows them to bring cylinders for urgent use for enhancing oxygen distribution logistics in India.
C. It is the responsibility of the consignee to follow the procedure as per relaxed conditions given in the table of para 3 of the Press Release, prior to the filling of the medical oxygen in these cylinders at refillers/ filling plants.
D. In view of the above, Customs will give necessary clearances without PESO approvals for such items received at the ports/ airports for COVID relief works.
4. The officers of Nhava Sheva Customs (JNCH) are sensitized about the above and they are directed to give necessary clearances without PESO approvals for such items received at the ports/ airports for COVID relief works.
5. Difficulty, if any, faced in implementation of this Public Notice may be brought to the notice of the Additional Commissioner (Appraising Main, Import) through email on email@example.com.
6. This Public Notice should be considered as Standing Order for the concerned Officers and Staff of Customs JNCH.